Friday 14 March 2014

#2 ~ Let's Make Over the World!

Years ago, when I first found out that cosmetics were tested on animals, I literally could not believe it. Animals...are tested on for the sake of our beauty? That always has been and always will be unethical; coincidentally, the R.S.P.C.A. have launched a campaign to stop animal testing worldwide, so this is the perfect way to start my blog.



Thousands (over 27,000) of cute little rabbits, mice, guinea pigs and rats (yes, I think rats are cute too) are used all of the time to test new ingredients for cosmetics and the finished products, causing them much distress and even pain; once done with, they are simply disposed of. I used to own a rabbit and two guinea pigs...the thought of something like this happening to them is just unbearable. All of these animals should be treated like living things, not just a tools for experimentation.

As it has already been banned in the E.U. (as well as bringing in ingredients and the finished products if they were tested on animals) and in America they are running a petition to ask Representatives to become Co-Sponsors of the Humane Cosmetics Act as well as asking people to e-mail legislators, I think it is time for the rest of the world to do the same.




In China it is actually required that cosmetics are tested on animals before being sold (although they are apparently thinking of 'easing' their laws in June) and quite a few of the larger cosmetics companies allow their products to be tested just to sell them there (the Chinese cosmetics industry is worth £16 billion). I wonder how the people in charge of these companies would feel if they were the test subjects and not defenseless animals...as a passionate animal lover, I feel very strongly about what the R.S.P.C.A. are doing and want to really encourage everyone to take part.

The best part is, it is so easy and quick to do! You can send an e-mail to the biggest cosmetics companies (the R.S.P.C.A. have even written one for you, or you can write your own) from the campaign page and then dedicate your makeover to the make over the world campaign on twitter! I really, really encourage you to do this as it can even be your daily makeover (as long as you send that e-mail, too - otherwise it makes less of an impact). All you have to do is take a photo and upload it to twitter, using the hashtag #makeovertheworld so that the world can see it! You can also be super creative, like maybe giving yourself cat-like eyeliner, or go all-out by adding a nose and whiskers!




Ta-da! This is the result of my makeover (and the first time I have ever done cat make-up on myself). It was really fun! I plaited my hair the night before after having a shower and let it dry naturally overnight because unfortunately, I wasn't born with lovely waves like this. I have also posted this on twitter to be a part of the make over the world campaign. Now it's your turn! If you don't...



So go on and dedicate your makeover to help make over the world! Let's stop animal testing together!

Love, Miss Emma-Lily xx


No comments:

Post a Comment